Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Tantrum Put to Good Use

Who knew a 2 year old could be so useful at passport control?  I was waiting in a line to get my passport stamped and re-enter Morocco when I heard something that sounded like a wild animal, but which turned out to be a little girl. Her dad periodically picked her up, moved up in line, then put her back on the floor. Her mom and dad were in the short line designated for diplomats.

While this was going on, I noticed two things.  First, my line was moving slower than all the rest.  Of course. The woman checking passports in the line I was in managed to find some problem with every single entry form presented to her. Really?  Every single one?  Cue 2 year old with a new round of screams.

The second thing I noticed was a Moroccan official on the phone. His job was to check the passport stamps before allowing travelers out of the area and into the airport proper. He got off the phone and left his post.  You know where this is going, right?  He got the girl's mom and dad out of line. 

The dad took the little girl through the door and into the baggage claim area. Where he put her back on the floor. The mom waited for a couple of minutes as the official got their passports stamped.  Now, yes, it could be this had something to do with their diplomatic connection, but everyone is chuckling (and relieved) at this little scene.

Meanwhile, I was still stuck in the slow line, wondering if anyone else had a two year old that I could borrow for a few minutes.

1 comment: