Monday, April 23, 2012

Home Improvement

The owner of my apartment decided she wanted to add decorative trim to the outside of the interior building windows overlooking her courtyard.  Sounds nice. she's chosen brown and white ceramic tiles in an alternating diamond and triangle pattern.  Looks nice. 


The way it gets applied is that the tile guy has to first climb a ladder outside the building in order to hammer and chisle off the existing stucco. Then he taps and cements the tile to the cinderblock underneath. So what he does is this: hammer, hammer, hammer. Bang, bang, bang. Tap, tap, bang, hammer. For hours and forever every single day. Starting way too early in the morning. 

Pity the poor non-morning persons. And the mom of the 2-month old downstairs. And the rest of us, as all of this hammering, banging and tapping is a 100% guaranteed headache-maker.

Since his ladder won't reach the third floor, he's had to come inside my apartment to do my windows. Most of my windows are open, but some in the living room and kitchen have actually been removed for better access to the outside and to avoid damage. My washing machine is sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor. I can hear him now moving my stove off further to the side.

When the tile guy was working on the second floor, the baby downstairs took his naps in my aparment.  Now I'm hanging out and eating with the family downstairs.

There are a couple of differences as to the way work is done in Morocco. The tile guy takes breaks to go to the mosque for prayer. The homeowner provides him with a big home-cooked meal everyday. I am leaving fruit, juice and water on the table for him to eat as he pleases. Since he is now working inside my apartment, I have to treat him as a guest.


No comments:

Post a Comment